Gradient

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I AM RETIRED.  I'M NOT INTERESTED IN WORKING. WHY DO I NEED OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY?

My absolute favorite question! Occupational therapy is an allied health profession that works with people throughout the entire life span.  Our focus is to use occupations, which are activities that are meaningful to the client, as a means to improve physical health and function.  We help our clients return to independence in the completion of activities of daily living (ADL).  ADL includes self-feeding, bathing, toileting, medication management, meal preparation, and home management tasks, just to name a few.  So, occupation is not only what a person does for employment, but it entails ALL the activities in their lives that are necessary and bring a sense of enjoyment and value.

WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL HOME TRANSFORMATIONS? 

Functional Home Transformations (FHT) is a mobile occupational therapy business whose goal is to allow those clients 55+ years to continue to live in their homes as long as possible, without having to leave the home they love.  "Mobile" means that we perform services in the client's home instead of a clinic or office setting.  FHT specializes in comprehensive evaluations of the client, the client's home, and how the client interacts within that environment.  We make recommendations for the most appropriate changes to the home to allow the client to safely, independently, and successfully participate in meaningful and necessary tasks.

I HAVE A FRIEND THAT CAN INSTALL A GRAB BAR FOR ME.  WHAT WOULD YOUR COMPANY DO DIFFERENTLY?

Though FHT does not perform any structural modifications, including installing grab bars, building ramps, etc., we closely collaborate with builders, construction workers, and handymen to ensure that all modifications are specified to the client's current and future needs based on the findings of the comprehensive client and home assessment.  

AMAZON HAS A LOT OF THINGS.  I'LL JUST ORDER SOMETHING FROM THEM.

Yes, Amazon is one of my best friends.  They have an enormous selection of bathroom equipment, and they provide a brief description of what the items can be used for. The operative word: CAN.   No one wants to purchase an expensive item and find it does not work for their needs or environment, especially if it cannot be returned.  A skilled therapist can make recommendations based on the client's current and possible future needs to choose the most appropriate equipment.

WHAT IS YOUR FEE FOR SERVICES?

You may be eligible for FHT services for little to no out-of-pocket costs!  FHT is a Medicare B Provider. This means that if you have Medicare B, FHT will bill Medicare B, and they pay 80% of your claim.  If you have secondary insurance, that insurance usually takes care of the remaining 20% of the bill.  If you are interested in having FHT perform an evaluation for you and your home and you are not a Medicare Part B beneficiary, but you have private insurance, we will contact your insurance company to determine what out-of-network benefits they provide for outpatient therapy services.   If you are not insured OR if you would like an in-home assessment for future planning purposes but not a direct medical need, you are asked to pay out of pocket for our services.

I WANT MY PARENT TO MOVE IN WITH ME.  HOW CAN YOUR SERVICES BENEFIT ME?
 

FHT can evaluate your parent's abilities,  needs, habits, and goals.  Of course, we will determine what your concerns are and your goals for your parent.  We will assess how he or she performs meaningful tasks within the environment, and make more basic recommendations such as placement of furniture as well as more complex suggestions such as remodels, ramp installation, or adaptive equipment use.